This fall, we noticed our crawl space door was broken. Great. We called a pest control company and they came to set traps. I knew there were mice in our house but I had no idea how many. We were catching 1-2 daily. At least the traps were working then. At this point, Kelsey wasn't crawling so I wasn't worried too much about her. I kept feeling a draft behind our dishwasher so I convinced my landlord to take a look. There is a reason why you should never gut out a 1940s kitchen. You never know what you'll find or what you'll break. There was a huge hole going down to the crawl space. I could have fit into this hole. The landlord was shocked. After covering the hole, I hoped we would see a slow-down in mice and we did for a few weeks. Fast forward to after the holidays. I started hearing the scurrying again but this time near my head. They were running around behind the cabinets. They were so comfortable that they'd do it when I was in the kitchen. Every night, we'd see proof of them making their way to the countertops. However, they finally figured out the traps and no matter where we set them or what we put in them (corey got the great idea to put his kitkat in them after he noticed claw marks on the kitkats), we never could catch them. This has been going on for a month and it's so frustrating. Well, this morning, I woke up to find a mouse in the middle of our bathroom floor. Yuck. After calling my dad and giving myself a few pep talks out loud, I removed the mouse with a pyrex dish and a piece of paper. I hate mice. Hate them. I'm hoping that number 21 is the last of them but the realistic side of me says there are more. And Kelsey is a crawler and picks up the tiniest things, which always makes me worried about what she's picking up...
Anyway, if you are still reading this, do you have any ideas? We've done the poison bait but they don't seem to care for it (except for number 21 apparently) and I'm nervous about those ones for Kelsey's sake. Anyone?
And since I haven't posted in forever, here is a picture from the other thing that gets my heart rate going - Kelsey climbing our super steep wood stairs. It's her favorite activity. Sorry for the blurry pic; it was taken with a phone.
14 comments:
Sick, sick, sick!!! Oh my gosh, that is so disgusting! I'm impressed that you got the guts to get the mouse of the floor of your bathroom. Hearing them crawling behind the cabinets must be so sickening and disturbing. I wish I had a great idea for you. I have no idea of an exterminator would do anything but you might try it if you haven't already. Another idea - get a cat. I hate cats but I think mice would be worse. Good Luck!
You're kidding! I thought these kinds of things only happened to the unfortunate in NYC! I agree with Christie though, get a cat!!
Yewww!! I hate rodents! Ask Ben...I almost wouldn't sleep at home when we had rats in our duplex a few years ago! We used the glue traps with moderate success. Ben finally went cornered one and went after it with a hammer. At least he got some frustration out! Good luck! And Thomas is right there with Kelsey...he LOVES climbing the stairs and then giggles uncontrollably when I come to grab him!
I'm so sorry! We had a few mice when we first moved into Klay's parent's house and it was SO gross! He didn't believe me that I saw the first one run into the bathroom one night when I flipped on the light until we actually caught it. GROSS! I know exactly how you feel (well, minus about 18 mice!)
On a better note, I can't believe how big Kelsey is getting! She is so adorable! I wish we could have met up with you guys over Christmas. Next time...
Oh that's so awful! I hate mice! We have lots of mice in our yard and window wells, but so far none in the house. Our neighbors have a cat and it takes care of lots of them, so that's my only idea, too. Yuck! Hope that gets better SOON!
Miss you.
Kelsey is so cute!
Oh my goodness, Erin, that is HORRIBLE! I am sorry and wish I had a perfect trick for you to get rid of them. But in the meantime, your baby girl is so beautiful! Those stairs would make me nervous, too. :)
It was fun to get a comment from you- see, I blog stalk you as well but don't often comment. Kelsey is a real cutie.
As for the mice- we had a mouse in our Lehi apartment. We named him Amos. It was much easier to mentally deal with a friendly mouse with a name than a random rodent living in my stove. Until Kenny kille-- I mean, until Kenny kindly escorted the mouse to an open field where he was greeted by mice friends and lived happily ever after. That's what I have to tell myself;)
I'd love to chat with you about consulting stuff- what's a good email address for you. Shoot me an email at jooniper at gmail.
Oh no that is sick, I am totally with you man. I have never lived anywhere with mice but I feel your pain a little bit with the seasonal cockroaches we find here in the south. That will be a hard problem to solve but I hope you do get to the end of it soon.
Well it is about time you post something!!! :) I really wish you guys were closer. I could use a lunch buddy to get me out of the house! Good luck with the mice thing. You are a lot braver than me!
yuck yuck yuck! We have these moles in my neighborhood. I haven't had a problem with them, but they get into people's gardens and in their basements. My neighbor told me if I ever do have issues with them to put out pieces of Juicy Fruit gum. apparently they chew it and it kills them? Ew... I wonder if that would work with mice too?
EEkk good luck!
This is affecting me- I seriously had a nightmare last night about trying to catch mice that were hiding in our bathroom cupboards! And I haven't even had to deal with it. I'm feeling for you! I hope you can get rid of them all soon!
oh man! i grew up with mice in our house... they were like pets. they stopped running from us and would just slowly pace near us. i think my mom gave up on trying to catch them. our whole house was a crawl space for them! for fun, we would set cheese out and my brother and i would sit and watch them come eat it. true story. anyway, no, i have no insight on how to get rid of them, just how to accept them :)
We had to deal with mice when we stored our stuff in Liz's parents second garage in the country. I killed about 12, so your 21 is impressive. If they have outsmarted the traps, that sucks. You might try a few different types of poison baits. I think there is some kind of 'brick' that is supposed to work well. Good luck!!
Erin,
Mice are the worst!!! We have been getting them in our new house in Idaho because of the fields around us. The Pest control guy comes every two weeks and has put poison up in little tin boxes around the outside of the house and then around the inside of the house in these little black boxes with a small enough hole the mouse can go in...but Kenley can't get into them! I've only seen 2 actually alive and 1 dead but I find their poop EVERYWHERE! I have noticed a significant drop since we hired the guy to come keep up on it. Our problem is we don't live there during the summer so when a house sits quiet, dark and empty for a long period of time then they start to take over! Good luck! I feel for you!
Post a Comment