Sunday, December 14, 2008

A few of my favorite websites

The other day, I was reading through a friend's blog. She had some of her favorite websites posted. I thought I'd do the same, because I definitely have my list of favorites. With my job being solely online-based, I have become quite the browser. In the past two years, I have found some pretty cool sites that make my life a little easier. I thought I'd share some with you.

Mint.com. By far my favorite site. My co-worker introduced me to this site. It's an online budget tool. Corey and I used to work off Quicken, but it always took forever, and it was never as automated as I wanted. This program, mint, is not only user friendly, but it takes like 5 minutes to set up. I love that it easily shows me weekly where I am in my budget, and it often shows me places that I can save $. Check it out. It's a good one.

Babysteals.com. Not quite sure why I love this site so much, because I don't have children and I'm not expecting to have any in the near 9 months. However, I like seeing deals, and this site seems to have a few. It showcases one brand-name product a day at 9 am, and it sells a limited number. The product is usually 30-60% off normal price. Anyway, I thought I'd share, since many of you have little ones.

Southwest Ding. This is actually an online app, but you can download it through Southwest. I am a sucker for good travel deals and I've have used this one many times. You add the airports that you want to watch for deals, so I've added SLC, Seattle, and Boise. The deals are only around for 1 day, but if you are somewhat flexible with your dates or if you are just looking for a weekend getaway at a good price, this is a good app. to download.

Tripkick, traveladvisor, priceline, and wikitravel. I love watching travel deals (as you can see from above) and these sites are helpful for this hobby. I've used Priceline to low-ball offers, and then let them send me emails when a good deal appears that fits my itinerary. Tripkick is good for hotels. It's somewhat new, so it doesn't have everything, but it tells you not only the good hotels, but which rooms to request in the hotel. Traveladvisor.com is the best site I've found for user reviews and wikitravel is AWESOME for ideas of fun things to do while on your trips.

Fancast and hulu. Both of these sites are great for watching tv shows online. They are both tv show collections- from CW, CBS, NBC, ABC, and others. They usually update the day after a show has aired. Corey and I do have our favorite tv shows, but since we don't have tivo, we often miss the shows due to other activities. I don't watch a lot of tv, but I do watch a lot of fancast when Corey is gone on business. Fancast.com is the one I first found, so I watch it a lot, but hulu.com seems to have the better collection of shows.

Other favorites: Omiru (an odd fashion blog that sometimes has good tips), Martha Stewart's Advanced Recipe Search, ultimate-guitar.com (guitar chords for millions of songs), and gizmodo.com (a gadget blog- yes, the Omniture world has slightly rubbed off on me:))

Sorry for the long post. I'll pics later of our Thanksgiving holiday.

1 comment:

fancastfan said...

Hi Erin, I just saw your mention of Fancast and thanks for the shout-out. I'm also glad you like our site better! :) and just to slightly disagree with your conclusion - we actually have a programming library second to none. Not only do we have shows from NBC and Fox (Hulu's parent companies) but we also have programs from ALL the major networks and producers, including ABC, CBS, the Viacom cable group (Comedy Central, etc), the WB - and even pay channels like HBO, Showtime and Starz.
By the way, in addition to TV, we also have a great movie library, and, of course, it is also totally free. We have tons of movies, and also spotlight some themes, which right now include time travel, Sidney Poitier, James Garner, Sean Connery and Sherlock Holmes flicks. Good stuff!
The link for the movie page is http://www.fancast.com/movies

Cheers,
Jim (for Fancast)